Once you choose a theme for your Podbean podcast site, you can customize it in various ways to better fit your topic and brand. Two common podcast site customizations are changing out the header image and the background image. Here’s how to do that:
Step 1: Log into your Dashboard.
Step 2: Go to “Layout”->”Themes”. Click on the edit icon to upload the header image and background image.
Step 3: Click Submit to save. You can always go back to the default image by clicking on the restore icon.
Podbean offers a huge directory of podcasts for listeners to discover. These include podcasts hosted on Podbean as well as many others, in all genres. This directory also populates Podbean’s Android and iPhone apps, which are increasingly popular for listeners to discover new podcasts.
If you are a non-Podbean user and want to put your podcasts on Podbean to gain exposure to a wider audience, you can submit your feed to the Podbean directory for free.
Here are the detailed instructions to submit your podcast:
1. Go to www.podbean.com. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click on “Submit your podcast”.
2. You’ll be directed to the login page. Log into or sign up for a Podbean account (no cost for a free account).
3. Fill in your podcast feed and click on “Submit”. Follow the steps as instructed.
* Podbean users with Podbean paid plans are automatically in the directory. For Podbean free accounts, you must verify your account first to be included in the directory. The verification steps will appear in your Podbean account’s dashboard 15 days after your account is created. Your podcast will appear in the Podbean Directory within 24 to 48 hours.
If you are already in the Podbean directory but have not yet claimed your listing, simply go to the listing page and click “claim listing” on the left. This will ensure you are notified of comments and other opportunities.
If you wish to delist your podcast from Podbean’s directory and app for some reason, you can contact our Support team any time to do so. Please note, this means your podcast will no longer be available to Podbean app users.
Once you have submitted your podcast to iTunes, the amount of time until it will be available depends on the iTunes review process. You can check the status of your submission in Podcasts Connect. If there are any errors or you have been rejected, please check the problem and resubmit. You can see a list of reasons for being rejected or removed here. Validation errors can occur for a number of reasons such as “mismatched tags, artwork that does not meet the minimum requirements, or unescaped ampersands”. Podcasts Connect displays validation errors at the top of the new podcast page.
Once your podcast is reviewed and approved by Apple: “you receive an email confirmation indicating your submission review is complete. Your confirmation email also includes the link to your active podcast. The podcast link is live on the iTunes Store shortly after the email is sent. Your podcast is not searchable in the iTunes Store until it is indexed, which can take up to 24 hours.”
iTunes is a popular place for listeners to discover and subscribe to podcasts so for most podcasters, one of the most important early steps is to submit your podcast’s RSS feed to iTunes. Submitting to iTunes is easy when you host on Podbean!
To get a podcast on iTunes, please follow these simple steps:
1. Publish at least one episode with an iTunes supported file format. You may read about how to publish a podcast in Podbean here and which file formats are supported in iTunes here.
2. Set your Podcast title, description, category and logo in your Podbean account’s “Settings” page. Pay close attention to the title, description and author fields as the iTunes Store uses these fields for search. Your Podbean channel logo will be used in iTunes as your podcast cover art. The logo image must meet the iTunes specifications: cover art must be in the JPEG or PNG file formats and in the RGB color space with a minimum size of 1400 x 1400 pixels and a maximum size of 2048 x 2048 pixels. Read more about specifications for podcasts on iTunes.
3. Get your podcast RSS feed by going to Settings->Feed/iTunes in your Podbean dashboard. At the top, you will see “Your RSS feed” (http://yourname.podbean.com/feed/). This is the information you need for iTunes.
4. Go to the iTunes store (you will need to login or create an iTunes store account), find “Podcasts” and on the right sidebar and you will see a list of items including “Submit a Podcast”. Click there and you will be redirected to Podcasts Connect (or go directly to https://podcastsconnect.apple.com/), Apple’s podcast management area. You will have to login with your Apple ID. You can view and manage all the podcasts you’ve submitted here.
Once you register your podcast with iTunes, you will get an iTunes feed ID which you can input in your Feed/iTunes settings in Podbean. Your podcast will then be automatically updated by iTunes.
*Please note that there are sometimes delays with iTunes updating, which we cannot control. If you have subscribers in iTunes, they will get your latest podcast but there may be slight delays in it showing up in iTunes.
Remember the days before smartphones and feature phones, when texting was exciting new technology and your favourite (only) “app” was Snake? As smartphones become ubiquitous and mobile computing becomes the norm, more and more people are doing more and more on the go. Why not, then, stream podcasts on the go too? With Podbean’s new responsive templates, you can!
We’ve introduced 3 new responsive templates that not only have great functionality, but look great too.
Because these templates are responsive, they will stretch and squeeze to fit any screen whether it be on a computer, tablet or smartphone. This makes all the content much more convenient to access and use especially on mobile devices.
On top of this each of the 3 new templates is beautifully designed to look modern, fresh and clean to give your podcast the stylish look it deserves.
Our responsive templates are available to all our Unlimited and above plan members – why not go and have a look at them right now?